The Philippine industry regulator, PAGCOR, has suspended the licence of Resorts World Manila and ordered it to suspend all gaming activities while the investigation into last week’s casino attack continues.
A gunman killed 36 people, including himself, in a heavily-armed attack on the casino in the early hours of Friday 2 June.
A statement on PAGCOR’S website outlines the decision, ordering Resorts World to “cease and desist all gaming operations pending an investigation and final determination by PAGCOR of RWM’s liability.
“The said suspension will remain until RWM rectifies its serious security lapses and deficiencies – which caused not only the loss of lives and damaged properties – but also placed the Philippine gaming, tourism and hospitality industries in bad light.”
The regulator is also requiring submissions from all integrated resorts relating to their security and safety protocols.
Resorts World has reportedly sought the services of security solutions firm Blackpanda to review its safety measures.
Stephen Reilly, COO of Resorts World, said in a statement: “We will rebuild and make Resorts World better and stronger. A big part of this is to bring in world experts.
“The recent breach in our security and the resulting loss of lives is truly regrettable and we cannot let it happen again.”
PAGCOR is itself under legislative scrutiny in the wake of the attack.
Lawmakers in the Philippines are debating a bill that would see the regulator stripped of its licensing powers, a move that would place the authority to grant casino licences back in the hands of the country’s House of Representatives.
DISCUSS THIS ARTICLE