Crown Melbourne, Australia’s largest casino, will again close its doors after Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews announced Wednesday that the city was re-entering stage three lockdown for another six weeks.
The renewed restrictions prohibit residents from leaving home for anything other than work, food, exercise or medical care. Restaurants and cafes will also feel the pinch as they are forced to return to takeaway and delivery services only, with all other entertainment venues forced to shut down operations.
Crown Resorts ordinarily gets the majority of its income from the Crown Melbourne facility, which had been closed since 23 March. In-person dining resumed at the start of June as part of their phased reopening.
“In line with the Victorian Government’s reintroduction of stage three restrictions, Crown Resorts wishes to advise all our guests that Crown Melbourne will be temporarily closed from 9 July until further notice due to COVID-19. The closure of Crown Melbourne is to protect the health and safety of Crown patrons, employees and the broader community,” the casino said in a statement.
The decision to revert to stage three of lockdown comes at a time when new COVID-19 cases are beginning to spike.
“It’s clear we are on the cusp of our second wave – and we cannot let this virus cut through our communities. It’s why, based on the advice of the chief health officer, stage three ‘Stay at Home’ restrictions will be reinstated across metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire from 11:59pm on Wednesday 8 July,” Andrews said in a statement.