Genting Malaysia to inject $150m to Empire Resorts

By Violeta Prockyte

Casino operator Genting Malaysia is planning to inject $150m cash into Empire Resorts, a US-based subsidiary it recently acquired by subscribing to Series L preferred stocks. The company stated it’s meant as working capital and for financing purposes.

Genting Malaysia reputedly holds a 49% stake in Empire, with Kien Huat Realty III Ltd holding the remaining 51%. The company’s stock can increase to 57% if the company Series L preferred stocks will be converted to common stocks, but that will have to wait until 2030 at the earliest.

Genting Malaysia said in a statement: “The equity Injection will be funded through internally generated funds and/or bank borrowings, the mix of which has not been determined as at the date of this announcement.”

In March, Genting Malaysia announced it injected $40m into Empire using Series G preferred stocks. In the same month, the Empire had to temporarily halt its operations due to health and safety concerns.

The company added, “In addition, Empire will require funds to fulfil its short-term debt obligations within the next six months.”

Empire is said to continue with its long-term refinancing plans.

The subscription agreement is part of Empire’s efforts to raise funds, the previous cases include $550m as part of a fixed-term loan and $475m in bond offerings.

TAGS:

Share This Post



NEWS SPONSOR

More News

Robert Goldstein has been announced as Las Vegas Sands’ permanent CEO and chairman following the death of founder Sheldon Adelson earlier this month. Goldstein was initially named as acting CEO and chairman...




This article originally appeared in the November/December edition of Gambling Insider magazine: Steffan Jones, Commercial Development VP of gambling, global enterprise and eCommerce at Worldpay, speaks to Gambling Insider about what...