Switzerland Online Casino GGY (2015-2021) (CHFm)
The graph shows gross gambling yield (GGY) of land-based and online casinos in Switzerland for the period 2015 to 2021 in millions of Swiss Franc.
- Switzerland opened its online gambling market to private competition in July 2019, when the regulator issued its first licence.
- Online casinos took a small percentage of the overall casino GGY in the initial year (3%), but the number grew to 29% during the Covid-19 pandemic (2020) and 37% in 2021.
- In April 2023, the number of online casino operators reached 11, while there are 21 land-based casinos.
- Online casino games can only be offered by established land-based casino operators, while online betting (and lotteries) are offered by two state-owned companies in Switzerland.
Kentucky Horseracing Handle (2010-2022) (US$m)
The graph shows horseracing handle in Kentucky for the period 2010-2022, in millions of US dollars.
- To help the falling horseracing industry, the legislator legalised historical horseracing machine (HHRs), also referred to as "instant racing machines," in 2011.
- Although the machines resemble slots, instead of randomising the outcome of a play, the HHRs replay races that have already been run.
- HHR handle took 6% of total handle in its initial year, climbing to 57% in 2016, and 92% in 2022, proving that the machines are a major source of revenue for the industry.
- There are seven US states where HHR machines are live: Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Hampshire, Virginia and Wyoming.
Poland sports betting handle (2014-2021) Polish Zloty (PLN bn)
This graph shows sports betting handle in Poland for the period 2014-2021, in billions of Zloty. Association (IBIA)
- Although the online sports betting market was legalised already in June 2011, only locally established operators could participate.• Following law amendments, foreign operators gained access to the market only in 2018.
- Online sports betting handle took up 74% of total handle in 2018, climbing to 86% in 2021.
- As the online market took of, operators began to downsize their land-based presence.
- In 2017, there were over 2,500 betting shops, falling to below 1,000 in 2023.
The Netherlands online gambling GGY (Q4 2021-Q2 2022) (€m)
This graph shows gross gambling yield (GGY) from the Netherlands online gambling market for the period Q4 2021-Q2 2022, in millions of Euros.
- After a lengthily legislative process of online gambling legalisation, which started in 2013, the market finally went live on 2 October 2021.
- Banked casino games (roulette, baccarat, blackjack, slots) took the largest part of the overall revenues in the Q2 2022-72%, followed by betting (24%) and non-banked games such as poker with a 4% share.
- In April 2023, the number of online operators reached 23, with 22 of those licensed for online casino games, 13 licensed for sports betting and eight for horseracing betting.
West Virginia sports betting handle (2019-2022) (%)
The graph shows retail and online sports betting handle in West Virginia for the period FY 2019-FY 2022, as percentage of total handle.
- After legalisation in 2018, retail sports betting launched in the state in August 2018, followed by the online/mobile launch in December 2018.
- Already in FY 2019, online handle was US$133m (vs US$125m in retail handle), climbing to US$482m in FY 2022, when retail handle was just US$117m.
- As of April 2023, there are five retail sportsbooks at the state's casinos and 10 online/mobile sportsbooks licensed.